How to Shake Off the Mid-Day Slump

Hey guys! I wanted to apologize for not responding to your great comments! I've been fighting off a nasty bug and have been spending a ton either sleeping or wishing I were sleeping. I'm heading back to work today and I'm hoping to have at least a somewhat productive day, unlike Tuesday.

On Tuesday, I was at work sifting through cases and writing summaries and I noticed I was working slower and slower. Finally, I just couldn't focus at all. I drank coffee but it didn't help. I re-read the same sentence 10 times and I still didn't fully comprehend it. It was that kind of day. The problem with those kinds of days is that they can derail your productivity for the week. I didn't have 8 hours to lose to inefficient, groggily skimmed work methods. I needed to get my head back in the game.

Whether or not you're sorting through research, studying for a final, or even cleaning the bathroom, we all have those days. These are some ways I've found to shake off the funk and get back on track!
  • Listen to upbeat songs. Maybe even dance around a little. Dance can trigger an endorphin release that can perk you up and brighten your day.
  • Try on some moves for size. Office yoga might just be the thing you need to relax an work through some of the frustration of the day. 
  • Eat a sugary snack. I like to recommend fruit because it's a healthy option as far as sugary things go but some days, you might just need to mosey on over to the store and buy a slice of cheesecake. And that's okay, too.
  • Take a walk outside. If you can get out for a bit, the fresh air can definitely liven you up. Coupled with the increased blood flow from your physical activity, it might result in a better mood once you're back on task!
  • Read something engaging. Trying to read dense material when your brain is out to lunch isn't helpful for anyone. Instead, accept that these are going to be lost minutes anyway, and take 15-20 minutes for yourself. Read something that interests you or that makes you laugh. It can get your brain thinking and engaging again!

What do you do when you fall into the workday slump? 

18 comments:

  1. Nice tips! I like eating a sugary snack♥♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! For a while, I kept my desk drawers stuffed with candy! Oops ;)

      Delete
  2. Brilliant tips! I've found myself somehow working 9-5 everyday and I definitely feel the midday slump. I just finished a book that I read during my lunch break and found it seriously helped a lot!

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Reading a good book is definitely a welcome change of pace.

      Delete
  3. Haha I have never heard of office yoga before. Does this really help turn your day around?

    Beth x
    www.ProFemaleBlogger.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does for me! I get antsy when I sit still for too long. Let me know if it works for you!

      Delete
  4. Totally agree with it being necessary to take a break from from reading dense material, sometimes I'm reading memos and I literally re-read the same thing 10 times and still couldn't tell you what I read. I'll have to try some office yoga haha. I hope you start feeling better!

    Laura
    Laura Aime Vous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? It's such a real struggle. Thanks for the well wishes! I think I've finally kicked the bug. Now I get the fun project of catching up :) haha

      Delete
  5. I usually try to take a walk to beat the mid-day slump! A coworker and I have a standing 'appointment' every day at 3pm to go on a walk together. Partly to perk us back up, partly to catch up on our lives and what's going on in the office. We walk for about a mile (20 minutes) and it's the perfect little break!
    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! Conversation and exercise all in one :) I can't wait until it cools off here a little more so walks can be more enjoyable!

      Delete
  6. Going for walks is so necessary for me. Sitting for long periods of time really makes it hard to focus.

    Mary Mae
    Western Prep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem! I try to get up and get moving at least during my lunch break. Getting some sun in definitely helps :)

      Delete
  7. These are all such great tips! Working a 9-5 job, I definitely do get a lot of mid day slumps. My go to solution would be upbeat music for sure! Tonnes of water help, too, haha. I'm not one to resort to sugary snacks just because I come crashing down from the high later on.

    Enjoy the weekend, Ally!

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I get one just about every day! haha Water is definitely a good idea! I need to get better about drinking more throughout the day :) Hope you've had a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Sugary snacks are totally my go-to

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips! I usually go for a quick walk outside or take a tea break to get through the midday slump.

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really great tips! I always snack haha, dark chocolate or almonds are my favourites! A walk in the fresh air is an excellent tip though xx
    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete